Recently we asked our mommy friends to share their top diaper bag essentials. What are the most important items in your diaper bag? There are the basic essentials and then those fabulous clutch hitters that come in handy when you really need them. Other than your standard diaper bag items like diapers, wipes, A&D ointment or petroleum jelly, wipes, burp cloths, bibs, formula, bottles, and an extra outfit, here are the top 5 diaper bag items women recommend you never leave home without:
1) Doggie Poop Bags (with a handy dispenser) - when your little one decided to make a stinky poo at a housewarming party, or really at anyone's home, you can very courteously dispose of the dirty diaper by dropping it into a doggy poo trash bag, tie it in a knot and mask some of the odor. Ugh.
2) Face/Paci wipes - you can also use organic, plant based diaper wipes for this purpose, but if you are out to eat and your baby drops her pacifier for the 3rd time, running to the restroom to wach it with soap and water gets old fast. Bring paci wipes with you - they taste sweet like apples and could also be used to wipe the mush off baby's face after a quick meal of solids on the go.
3) Diaper Changing Mat - they make all kinds, and if you are lucky your diaper bag comes with one, but do yourself a favor and buy a big, round portable changing pad that folds up. You need that extra space in case your wriggly baby simultaneously pees in the middle of a change, or it happens to deliver a messy poo that he or she rolls into in the middle of a wiping session. You can also bring disposable pads (think wee-wee puppy training pads (but those have chemicals), instead buy wee wee pads for adults (with bladder problems). These are absorbant, take up little space and are large enough to act as a changing pad.
4) Toys - it's obvious but many parents forget - always keep a few small toys for any baby older than 3 months in the bag...and don't forget to put them back into the bag when they are done.
5) Sunscreen / Sunhat - on a sunny day or any day your little one is going to spend a chunk of the day outdoors, sunblock on hand will protect your little one's skin.